Healthy snacking is a wonderful way to keep up your metabolism and energy in-between meals. These days dang near everyone has heard of kale – it is like magic for the mind, body, and spirit. This green goddess of a vegetable makes for a delicious superfood snack.
Kale’s abundance of nutrients include
i. antioxidant nutrients
ii. anti-inflammatory nutrients
iii. anti-cancer nutrients in the form of glucosinolates
iv. detox-activating isothiocyanates
v. cholesterol-lowering capabilities for cardiovascular support
While kale is great in salad, juices, and smoothies, a quick snack that can be prepped ahead of time is invaluable. Enter kale chips! Bought, baked, or dehydrated they are incredibly tasty. Here is a taste of all three:
Rhythm Superfoods makes the meanest store bought kale chips around (no I am not sponsored by them). With flavors like Kool Ranch, Zesty Nacho, and Texas BBQ who could go wrong. Raw, Vegan, Gluten Free, Non-GMO, and Organic – wow!
Basic Baked Kale Chips
- 1 bunch/baking tray of kale leaves
- 1/5 of a cup of olive oil or coconut oil
- a sprinkling of sea salt
*add whatever seasoning you’d like to create different flavors
- Simply wash the kale, then tear the leaves from the stems.
- Discard the stems and place the leaves on a piece of parchment paper on top of a baking tray.
- Drizzle the olive oil onto the leaves and mix well, making sure that all the leaves are totally covered.
- Then sprinkle the salt over them.
- Place the tray in a 410 F (210 C) oven for 10-15 minutes until the edges of the leaves begin to brown.
Adapted from Deliciously Ella
Basic Dehydrated Kale Chips
– 2 bunches of kale
– 3 T olive oil or coconut oil
– 1 tsp sea salt
*add different seasonings for other flavors
- Wash and spin dry 2 bunches kale.
- Remove the tough spine and tear into bite size pieces, keeping in mind that they will shrink in size as they dehydrate.
- Combine olive oil and sea salt in large bowl.
- Stir in kale and coat.
- Place on dehydrator sheets and dehydrate at 115 for 4-6 hours or until crisp.
Adapted from Rawmazing (features different flavors)
Share what your favorite super health snacks are! We’d love to know!